Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It's Confirmed: A Jewel of a Cake


Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel. -Proverbs 20:15

This past weekend I had the unique pleasure of decorating a cake for my cousin Emily's confirmation. My aunt baked two Half Sheet cakes and frosted them with luscious white buttercream icing. Playing on the theme of Emily's confirmation bible passage, I chose deep jewel-toned hues and even found a jewel-shaped candy mold to make white chocolate gemstones to scatter around the cake. I made roses, daisies, and drop flowers from royal icing and used tinted buttercream icing for the scroll-work ivy and leaves.



As a centerpiece for the second cake, I crafted a three-dimensional floral arrangement to add depth, flair, and a little bling to the cake. Cotton wound floral wire and colored royal icing make for vivid sprays of color on this white cake. Edible glitter and pearl dust add even more sparkle to this lustrous cake.


Emily got to have her cake and eat it too on her special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment